This committee, one of the first in Ontario, was originally formed in 1996 as The Abuse of Vulnerable Adults Prevention Committee of Simcoe County (AVAPCSC)
In 1997 the Long Term Care Committee of the Simcoe County District Health Council identified the need for a community response protocol to address abuse issues. The Abuse Protocol Steering Committee, a sub committee from the AVAPCSC created a document outlining an intervention model in Simcoe County.
In March 2002, Ontario launched the first Elder Abuse Strategy in partnership with Ontario Seniors’ Secretariat, Ministry of Attorney General, and the Ontario Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse (ONPEA). ONPEA recently changed its name to Elder Abuse Ontario. A Regional Consultant from of the Strategy provides support and regional representation on the Committee.
On 2007 a Forum was held in Orillia that resulted in an increase in membership, a strategic planning meeting occurred shortly after and the network was renamed as The Prevention of Senior Abuse Network-Simcoe County (PSAN-SC). A strategic plan was established in 2008 and updated in 2012.
Accomplishments achieved with funding from the Simcoe County, Casino Rama, United Way, The Seniors Secretariat, and most recently The Trillium Foundation include:
- Designed and printed a bookmark describing signs of abuse and listing phone numbers for information and assistance. These were distributed at Seniors Fairs, and by community agencies, pharmacies and physicians.
- Created The Adult Abuse Protocol for Simcoe County which is available from county agencies and can be viewed and downloaded at www.dementianetworksc.org under resources. (revised 2005)
- Hosted a community Forum, (Oct 2007)
- Had several municipalities throughout Simcoe County declare June 15th as World Elder Abuse Awareness Day. Annual activities have included a community BBQ, flag raisings over City hall (both in Barrie and Orillia), and most recently a flash mob at Bayfield Mall, Barrie in 2013. (ongoing)
- Created an “Elder Abuse Awareness” display board and banner to promote awareness at public events. (ongoing)
- Hosted various training and educational events for the general public, seniors groups, service providers, volunteers, caregivers(ongoing)
- Hosted two regional conferences.
- Various members have presented at conferences, workshops and educational institutions across the county and beyond (Georgian College, Laurentian University).
- Developed a brochure to raise awareness about elder abuse entitled – “Elder Abuse: what you need to know.”
- Created a web site www.psan-sc.ca to educate and inform the public about elder abuse, including community resources, responding to concerns of elder abuse, and abuse prevention.
- 2012 -2014 Hired a Service Coordinator on a full time contract basis for a two-year project funded by Trillium to develop linkages with Simcoe County agencies and services to update and develop a new countywide response guidelines (launched in Spring 2014).